Russ’ paint swaps – PSC1

For my first paint swap challenge entry, I wanted to try and do something I hadn’t done before: kitbashing. It’s not something I usually do. I’m not a very adventurous hobbyist, preferring to build models as the designer intended although I do try and make pose able figures look as dynamic as possible.

So with that, I identified the model I was going to use, a Primaris Reiver, and delved into my modest bits box. I wanted to include some disparate elements to make it interesting and found that a Titanicus Knight power claw and Warlord tilting shield would look approximately the right scale. I was a little nervous about snipping the Reivers arm off at the elbow but the first cut is always the hardest (psychologically at least). I didn’t want to ruin a perfectly good model, even if it was a spare one.

Upon attaching the power claw I felt that it looked like it could be holding something, so buoyed by my newfound confidence, I promptly snipped the Reiver’s blade from the other arm. I attached the shield to the other arm and was left feeling like I had a marine that looked like a grizzled close combat specialist. Cool. The shield looked a bit bare so I added the end of a Chaplin’s Crozius for a bit of extra detail.

If you’ve heard any of our podcast episodes you’ll know that I started my journey in to miniature wargaming/painting during Warhammer 2nd edition. So it may come as little surprise that when I found the top half of a broken banner from a 2nd Ed Sgt that I felt the need to try and include some nod to my humble hobby origins.

Now you may be thinking, it’s ridiculous to include a back banner on a marine who is a close combat specialist… and you’d be right! But this is 40k. I need say no more.

For the banner pole to look proportionate it would need to be extended. I set about drilling a tiny hole in to the base of the banner pole, which was no mean feat considering the high margin of error and the plastic GW used back in the day. I succeeded in drilling approximately halfway up it’s lenth and inserted a bit of paper clip that I’d snipped off. Some rough greenstuff work later and I had something that was passable. In retrospect I may have rushed the greenstuff work and I’m sure I could have gotten a smoother and straighter finish. Lesson for the future.

Finally, I wanted to do a little something extra on the base. So rather than just rely on a sculpted base or solely use one of GW’s texture paints, I added some stones from my fish tank (No fish were harmed in the curation of this model).

Below is the assembled model. I was pretty chuffed. One piece of feedback I had was that the power claw looked too big. But again, I use the “it’s 40k” argument. Mic drop.

Once I primed the model I felt that it looked pretty damned good for a first attempt. Priming ties all the elements together and makes it look like a coherent model.

So I had the model. Now I needed the colours to be assigned to me by my partner. I was paired with Lange Mika Painting and he chose Nagaroth Night (dark purple) and Averland Sunset (deep yellow). I love the colour purple and had used it on my Titanicus models. Yellow on the other hand is a different matter. Yellow is a notoriously difficult colour to paint. The primary issue being opacity but also achieving decent highlights. I made the job easier on myself by priming in grey but it still took several coats to get the base coat down.

Here is the model at the halfway point.

I took my time and experimented with different ways of highlighting the yellow. I finally decided on mixing in progressively more white into the Averland Sunset rather than using a specific yellow highlight colour.

Once I was happy with the yellow, I moved on to the other colours I was more comfortable with. I felt that the model met the brief given to me but it seemed to be missing something. I decided that I’d give power weapons another shot having done it only once before and added another power effect to the shield.

Below is the finished model. I put a lot of effort in to the face and power sword. I was really pleased with how the model turned out. I was happy with the fact that I got to try a couple of new things and have another go at other techniques that I don’t tend to use in my day to day hobby. For the next challenge I resolved to push myself even further.

Instagram