Russ’ paint swaps – PSC2
For my entry for the latest round of the #paintswapchallenge, I resolved to push myself further than the last time. So I set about deciding on some objectives:
– Go bigger on the kitbashing
– Try making a diorama with some more elaborate basing.
– Use a model from an army I don’t usually paint.
This time around I was paired with the very talented @squared_paints (matt) who assigned me Seafoam green and maroon/dark red. I paint exclusively with GW paints as that’s what I’m used to so, after having a chat with Matt, settled on Gauss Blaster Green and Gal Vorbak Red. I hadn’t used either of these colours before, which I found quite exciting. It took me a little while to source the colours during lockdown but I got them.
With my objectives set and my colours assigned I dived into my
pile of shame cache of opportunity and found a model that satisfied my objective… an Ork.
This ork appeared to be a 2nd/3rd edition sculpt that came in a Build + Paint box.
I had my model. Now for the next objective: kitbashing. At first glance, I hadn’t made this easy on myself by choosing a monopose model. But after looking through my bits box, I decided I’d assemble some form of orky looking gun. Armed with my trusty snips, I removed the end of the existing weapon, leaving the hand intact. I used an space heavy flamer, which came from either a IG Chimera or Hellhound and placed a few spare scopes from the Primaris Intecessor sprue. Why am I putting scopes on a flamer? A) he’s an Ork, B) its 40k (see my PSC 1 post) and C) I was beginning to form a narrative in my head, whilst putting him together.
I wasn’t a fan of the head as it didn’t look angry enough and the top knot didn’t appeal either. I swapped it for a head from the old WFB Ork boys box.
Now, I don’t know if this something other folks do, but as I was digging through my bits box and thinking about what to use, I began trying to justify why this greenskin would be carrying or wearing them. I also began thinking of how I would implement the colours I had been assigned. Other people may come up with a narrative before assembly even began, others may write something once it had been built and painted. To me, coming up with a story during the process seemed quite organic and made it more fun. More on this later.
Below is what I ended up with.
You’ll see from the image that I added a mic from a voxcaster unit, a flamer tank from an IG flamer and a Primaris shoulder pad. The assembly was now done.
As the base was too become some sort of diorama, I wanted to include another model and a banner. I found an old 2nd edition Gretchin and a banner from the WFB Ork boys box. I started collecting Tyranids earlier this year and have a wealth of bits so I thought about how I could include some of them. I mounted a spare Tyranid Warrior head on top of the banner as a sort of trophy and found a couple of other bits for the base. The diorama started to come together.
With the base mapped out I started to think more about the composition and knew that I needed to add some height to make the Ork the most prominent figure. I originally intended to use cork and modelling clay but after much deliberation, I ended up picking up rocks and gravel from the ground. I laid them all out on the base and once I was happy, stuck the rocks and gravel down with some PVA and applied Astrogranite Debris around the rocks and armageddon dust around the remainder of the base.
I primed the base and set about painting it. I wanted it to look barren, stripped of all life by a Tyranid invasion but wanted to include elements that indicated that they didn’t have it all their own way. Below is the finished base.
I’m really happy with how it turned out. It’s far more elaborate that anything i’d done previously and provided a good basis for the models.
Below is the finished piece.
Remember I said that I was thinking of a narrative while assembling the model and trying to justify the choices I made? Well, I’ve written a shot bio/story about the Ork.
He is called Urtzog Bugsmasha, a Blood Axe who has been inspired by the Ultramarines’ Tyrannic War Veterans He seeks to emulate their achievements by hunting Tyranids. Imperial records detail sightings of an Ork fighting on the periphery of battles involving the Adeptus Astartes and the Tyranids. These sightings, whilst few and far between have nonetheless drawn the attention of the Inquisitions Ordo Xenos.
Urtzog is very distinct… not just due to his custom scorcha and his Gretchin accomplice and banner bearer, but because of his washed out skin colouration. Many theories exist as to why this is the case and it’s currently unknown if this is why he’s often seen fighting alone.
In conclusion, I feel that not only have I met the brief of painting using the colours assigned to me and meeting the objectives I set myself at the beginning, but I have also learned a few extra things:
– Gauss Blaster Green is such a bright colour and I wasn’t sure how I would go about shading it. I discovered that Coelia Greenshade is perfect for recess shading and it adds plenty of depth whilst also maintaining the greenish skin colour.
– Gal Vorbak red takes a few coats to reach opacity.
– I got to try some freehand on the banner. Nothing elaborate and the fact that it’s an Ork banner can explain away how it’s a bit crap haha.
– I applied my first transfer since I was a kid. I made a tactical cut in the transfer in the hope that it would mould around the shoulder pad better, but it was still a pain to do. Applying some ‘ardcoat varnish over the top held it down and Lahmian medium took away the gloss finish.
I find the paint swap challenge extremely fun. It’s a great excuse to get out of your comfort zone and try something different. If you’ve read this (well done for making it this far), I’d encourage you to keep an eye out on Instagram and take part when the next challenge is announced.